Junior League of Alexandria Grants 2010
The Junior League grants committee, in its 9th year, awarded $18,000 in grants to different non-profit organizations in our focus area which address women and children’s issues. These much needed grants allow the Junior League to spread our mission through other community organizations. Our committee has awarded the following grants:
- Food Bank of Central Louisiana: Grant money will help fund the Backpack Program at Acadian Elementary School. It will provide twenty children 7-10 pounds of nutritious, easy to open food each week for 36 weeks.
- Hope House of Central Louisiana: Grant money will go toward implementing a Pre-K readiness program to stimulate positive growth and learning for the children residing at this Hope House.
- T.R.E.E. House Museum: Grant money will provide 20 scholarships to T.R.E.E. House summer camps and 20 memberships to the museum for children in foster and protective care.
- Kent Plantation House: Grant money will help fund the Jane in June summer camp for girls ages 10-15. It will provide supplies needed to teach skills and manners suitable for a young lady during the Jane Austen era.
- St. Mary’s Residential Training School, Inc.: Grant money will purchase a pediatric defibrillator, wall cabinet and defibrillator pads allowing resident’s to receive the appropriate and necessary care during times of medical emergencies.
- Rapides Children’s Advocacy Center, Inc.: Grant money will go toward implementing the Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy program for victims of sexual abuse and help to provide a non-threatening and safe environment for children to re-tell their abuse stories.
- Friends of the Alexandria Zoo, Inc. (FOTAZ): Grant money will provide seventeen scholarships to Summer Safari camp and twenty FOTAZ memberships to foster families.
- Boys & Girls Club of Central Louisiana, Inc.: Grant money will help fund the Member Success and Strategic Partnerships program. It will provide tutoring services for improved reading, math, and science-based technology scores as well as training in behavior and social progression of members in the after-school program.
- Central Louisiana Arts & Healthcare, Inc.: Grant money will help fund the Pediatric Art Cart program and provide children in Pediatric wards of area hospitals with art projects to promote a positive mental attitude and relieve fear.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure: Grant money will help sponsor runners in the Alexandria Race for the Cure to raise money for local breast cancer research, screening, and treatment projects.