Junior League of Alexandria Grants 2011
The Junior League grants committee, in its 10th year, awarded $16,780 in grants to different non-profit organizations in our focus area which address women and children’s issues. These much needed grants allow the Junior League to spread our mission through other community organizations. Our committee has awarded the following grants:
- Central Louisiana Arts and Healthcare: Grant money will allow a clown/balloon artist to visit pediatric wards of local hospitals once a month.
- Family Counseling Agency: Grant money will be used to purchase a parenting education system and the necessary supplies. By implementing this program, Family Counseling Agency hopes to increase parenting knowledge and skills, reduce children’s problematic behavior, and improve family functioning.
- The First Tee of Central Louisiana: Grant money will provide scholarships to twenty youth who cannot afford the membership fee which includes use of equipment, golf course access, and instruction in golf and life skills.
- Food Bank of Central Louisiana: Grant money will help fund the Backpack Program at Acadian Elementary School. Back Packs filled with 7-10 pounds of food will be provided for 18 children for 36 weeks.
- Friends of the Alexandria Zoo (Fotaz): Grant money will provide “Mom and Me” passes to disadvantaged individuals to allow moms to bring their children to the zoo five times throughout the year.
- Hope House of Central Louisiana: Grant money will help purchase curriculum and materials to initiate the following components of the life skills training program: assertive skills, emotional wellness for women, first impressions, leadership skills, and health and wellness.
- Julius Patrick Elementary, Rapides Parish School Board: Grant money will be used to purchase a birthday gift for every student in the school and to provide the necessary wrapping supplies.
- Nextstep of Central Louisiana, Inc.: Grant money will be used to implement A Fight We Can Win, a program designed to provide instruction relative to dating violence to students in public schools.
- Northeast-Central Louisiana Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure: Grant money will be used to help offset the cost of the Survivor Breakfast.
- A Perfect Fit Foundation: Grant money will be used to provide well needed and approved shoes to underprivileged school children in Central Louisiana.
- Rapides Children’s Advocacy Center, Inc.: Grant money will provide assistance toward implementing the Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy program for victims of sexual abuse and help to provide a non-threatening and “safe” environment for children to re-tell their abuse stories.
- The Rapides Exploratory Education house, Inc. (T.R.E.E. House): Grant money will provide 15 free scholarships to T.R.E.E. House summer camps for children in foster care or protective care.
- Spiritual Tuesdays Aiding Rugg Students (STARS): Grant money will provide new backpacks and school supplies as Christmas gifts for the participants in the STARS program.
- Red River Dance Theatre Company: Grant money will be used to fund a summer intensive workshop for area dance students. The workshop will also provide youth of the Alexandria Boys and Girls Club an opportunity to explore movement, musicality, and contemporary dance with professional dancers.
- Volunteers of America of North Louisiana: Grant money will purchase “Earn While You Learn” parenting curriculum to foster responsibility and accountability in new parents in the Central Louisiana community.